Saturday, June 07, 2008

In the shed

We had the second rehearsal with Seb yesterday, and Phil just got back from a tour of China with Yannick Rieu. For my part I know I'm shaking the rust off a lot of the trio tunes. The pieces that lead double lives - with and without strings - have us working to find a trio sound again, and it's an exhilarating pursuit. Between the two rehearsals, we've covered pretty much all the repertoire for the two sets.

When Liam O'Neill was still playing drums in Indigone Trio, he was really into Dave King from the Bad Plus. I've only gotten into them over the past couple of years - quite frankly, reading the blog and understanding where Ethan, Dave and Reid were coming from made me re-evaluate their music with new ears. In revisiting one of our covers I realized it had a very TBP sound to it (not to mention the part in another tune that is very consciously a TBP moment). Phil and I discussed it afterwards and he brought up the point that TBP really own their covers. If there were no composition credits listed, I could easily think "Flim" and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" came from the pen of Iverson, Anderson or King.

No comments: