Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Stevie Wonder setlist - 06/30/2009, Place des Festivals (FIJM)

I was kind of beyond critical commentary last night. DJ Kobal warmed everybody up with a killer 2-hour set of his own, dropping Michael Jackson classics interspersed with well-known and lesser-known soul and funk gems, and trying to move the clouds with Bill Withers' "Lovely Day."

After an opening speech honouring Michael Jackson, calling the never-ending gossip "bullshit" and proclaiming that tonight would be a celebration, Stevie started his marathon set in earnest. Every time I thought the set had to be over, he continued. The band was supremely tight (will get everyone's names later today and add them here). From my vantage point, I couldn't tell whether the first couple of Michael Jackson tunes were coming through the PA (as they apparently were) or if it was one of Stevie's incredibly talented back-up singers mimicing Michael to a T. During the earliest portion of soundcheck, Stevie's male back-up vocalist stood in for him, sounding note for note like the boss. The show ended with beautiful fireworks, set to among other things, "Manteca."

Set List
I Can't Help It
As If You Read My Mind
Master Blaster (Jammin') [with lyrics about Obama]
Shake Your Body Down to the Ground (PA)
Did I Hear You Say You Love Me
All I Do
Michelle
Knocks Me Off My Feet
[new, Algerian sounding tune from the forthcoming spiritual record]
The Way You Make Me Feel (PA)
Higher Ground
All Blues [done with a 9/8 feel, Stevie on harmonica]
Giant Steps
Spain [Stevie playing Concerto de Aranjuez on harmonica, with each band member taking a chorus]
Our Love is Here to Stay
Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing
Overjoyed
I'm Going to Laugh You Right Out of My Life [Nancy Wilson song with Aisha Morris singing lead]
My Cherie Amour
Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours
Uptight (Everything's Alright)
For Once in My Life
Do I Do
I Just Called to Say I Love You
These Three Words
Sir Duke/I Wish/Isn't She Lovely
Superstition [with "Sex Machine" quotations]
As
MJ Finale: ABC/Got to be There/Never Can Say Goodbye/Shake Your Body/Rock With You/Billie Jean/Way You Make Me Feel/Man in the Mirror (PA)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the setlist !

do you remember what was played at the soundcheck -

the band played living for the city, do I do and part time lover among other songs and Stevie closed out with higher ground and a great you and I alone at the piano

I thought I heard I was made to love her but I don't recall if Stevie was on vocals for that one
thanks!

Anonymous said...

THanks Ryshpan! I arrrived on the 9:30 train in from toronto, dropped my stuff at home and ran: good to know I made it by song 2!

peace
lsia

Ryshpan said...

@Anonymous1: I didn't catch all of soundcheck, I heard Living for the City and Visions. Missed the part where Stevie came out for soundcheck.

the blind camera said...

props to you for the setlist, man, and for having the cool-headedness to actually take notes in that insanely packed crowd. Unless you memorized them, in which case, damn you for being a genius.

Ryshpan said...

@Blind Camera: I was actually in the press/employee zone for the Stevie show, which allowed me some room to breathe and take notes. There's no way I'd have been able to remember all that stuff.