Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Notices

It's a busy few weeks here, before embarking on another BMI excursion and Master's auditions. Here's the rundown:

Friday, January 26 I'll be playing once again with singer-songwriter-guitarist Michael Reinhart, this time at Sablo Kafé (50 St. Zotique E., metro Beaubien). Last time I played with him marked my debut on accordion. I'll be opening for Michael with a set of solo keyboard music - a couple of my own compositions reworked for solo playing, and a few covers, many of them new to my repertoire. Michael and I will be joined by two fantastic singers - Robin Gorn and Sarah Wendt. 8 pm start for my solo set, $7.

Friday, February 2 is my first gig with Kids Eat Crayons. Music from the mad mind of drummer/composer Dennis W. Lee, it's unlike any work I've ever played before. I'm really psyched about this band, as it's a consistent challenge to my playing ability - odd meters, demanding parts for all instruments, and the chance to let out all pent-up aggression. We'll be the last part of a triple bill with Frootfly & Super-Automatica (an electronica project between Max Henry and Liam O'Neill). This goes down at Barfly (4062a St. Laurent, near Duluth). $5.

Kids Eat Crayons: Jean-Philippe Major - voice; Steve Reid - alto sax; Ben Henriques - tenor & soprano sax; Craig Sauvé - guitar; DRR - keyboards; Scott Kingsley - bass; Dennis W. Lee - drums. (We're also hitting the studio January 31 and February 7. Stay tuned.)

I used to play in a band called Kokoro, which has been defunct since 2005. I've since worked with Kevin Warren and Jim Bennett in separate scenarios, but Saturday, February 10 marks the first time the three of us have played together since the demise of that group (and since Jim's return to Montreal from Vancouver). We'll be joined by guitarist Olivier René de Cotret and saxophonist Yannick Coderre at Bar Les Conneries (2037 St. Denis, above Ontario) for a night of jamming. I've missed playing with those guys.

And finally, Indigone Trio is relaunching for 2007 at les Conneries on Friday, February 23, and we welcome drummer Phil Melanson into the fold. Liam has decided to pursue other projects and we wish him all the best.

Additionally, I'll be hosting World Skip the Beat this coming Monday (Jan 29, noon EST) and Jazz Euphorium this coming Wednesday (Jan 31, 8 pm EST) on CKUT.

2 comments:

Moandji Ezana said...

"Les Conneries" is an interesting name for a bar...

Ryshpan said...

Yes, we're a colourful bunch out here, aren't we. It's beside another club called Café Chaos.